Choosing the right accessories for men can be difficult as choosing the right cufflinks, collar holders and ties have a lot of choice. There’s a lot of common sense missing in men’s fashion and that’s that every man seems to have a bottomless pit of a wallet and a lot of money to throw around on not much. It’s for this reason most men have a field day with bulk buying at the local Tesco. However, there are is a word that is much overused in the fashion industry and that word is ‘essential’. There are not as many ‘essential’ items in a man’s wardrobe as there is a woman and really, a double breasted blazer is definitely not one of those essential items. Neither are tasselled loafers or print shirts. There are websites such as birtchnells.co.uk that actually DO carry some of the items you really should have in your wardrobe and we’ve listed below some of these items.
- White shirts. These don’t have to be necessarily Oxford cloth or Olymp shirts which you can find on co.uk but white shirts are easy to dress up with some formal trousers and a blazer and also works very well with a rumpled pair of jeans. For some versatility, wear open with a long sleeve jersey shirt underneath.
- Dark slim jeans. Jeans don’t always have to be a builder’s job; as in, they don’t have to be for just slinging mud or wearing for the jobs that need doing round the house. Jeans can be just as dressy as trousers and dark slim jeans are the way to go for a multipurpose and stylish look. co.uk carry some excellent wrangler Texas jeans which are made to fit and can be worn either with a blazer for a smart ‘night-out’ look or dressed down with converse and a slouch t-shirt.
- Solid, dark tie. Ties are generally used in the office or for evenings or dinners out. Having a solid colour means you only literally need the one tie and you can throw it at any outfit really, suits or shirt and jeans etc. Try not to go more than 3” wide at its widest point or you are at risk of looking akin to a clown.
- Black V-neck jumper. Such an elegant look for a man to pull off and by adding a black jumper you can even smarten up a tshirt and jeans. You can layer it under a suit with a shirt and tie for a formal and stylish look.
- Black shoes. We’re realising that the staples for your wardrobe are all on the dark side but the thing is there’s no such thing as a man who looks bad in dark clothing! Black doesn’t just slim women down it makes men edgier. Black lace up shoes are usually dress up shoes and can go with suits and tuxedos just as much as those slim black jeans we mentioned earlier. Team your white shirt with jeans and laced shoes and you can’t go wrong.